Doe Run — A Metals Mining and Lead Producing Company
As a premier metals mining company and a global lead producer, The Doe Run Company manages the various components of the lead lifecycle, and also produces quality copper and zinc concentrates.
Dedicated to environmentally responsible metal production, Doe Run is the largest lead producer in North America. Doe Run provides lead metals, alloys and lead concentrates to companies globally.
Doe Run operations encompass the following stages:
- Exploration: Doe Run’s process begins with the search for metallic minerals. Doe Run geologists analyze various forms of information and data to target areas to search for valuable mineral deposits.
- Metals Mining and Milling: Doe Run currently operates six highly efficient and safety-award-winning mines (Brushy Creek, Buick, Casteel, Fletcher, Mine No. 29 and Sweetwater) along the Viburnum Trend in Southeast Missouri. Ore is mined hundreds of feet underground and milled into lead concentrate. (These operations also produce copper and zinc concentrates.)
- Refining and Alloying: Doe Run will operate its refinery, stripmill, and alloying and casting operations at the Herculaneum, MO facility through 2014.
- Fabrication: Fabricated Products Inc., Doe Run’s subsidiary, manufactures primary and secondary lead into a variety of products to meet each customer’s unique needs. Products include lead roofing materials, protective shielding for medical applications, lead casks for nuclear applications, bullet materials, and lead oxide for lead-acid batteries.
- Recycling: Doe Run’s lead recycling facility, known as a secondary lead smelter, in Boss, Mo., converts lead-acid batteries and other discarded lead-based materials — such as spent ammunition and computer screens — into finished lead and lead alloys for use in new products. The facility is one of the largest and most advanced of its kind.
Lead fulfills an essential role in powering the planet and protecting society. Each American uses an estimated 11 pounds of lead annually.